According to an economist intelligence unit survey in 2018 different communication styles were the top cause of poor workplace communication. The same report showed that poor communication is having a tremendous impact on the workplace. Respondents said that communication barriers led to:
- Delayed or failed projects (44%)
- Low morale (31%)
- Missed performance goals (25%)
- Lost sales (18%)
There is evidence that understanding preferred communication styles and deliberately working to include a variety of communication styles in teams can improve performance as explored in a number of HBR articles – see below.
The four suits in the cards represent four different styles of interaction or communication.
The suits draw on a wide variety of sources including the work of the EU Erasmus funded LincInc project and Peter B Smith on Inter-cultural communication, the learning styles work of the work of Linda Berens (Interaction styles) who in turn draws on the work of William Moulton Marston (Emotions of Normal People as a basis for behavior.)
See the following for details of the research and evidence:
- https://eiuperspectives.economist.com/sites/default/files/EIU_Lucidchart-Communication barriers in the modern workplace.pdf
- Emerging Theories of Human Communication, edited by Branislav Kovacic, Branislav Kova
- Linda V Berens, Understanding yourself and Others, an introduction to interaction
- Communication Styles as Dimensions of National Culture, Peter B. Smith